Wednesday 2 April 2014

Keeping up to date with education

People talk about the nostalgic feeling of sliding the soft pages of a newspaper, gripping them between the tips of the fingers and smelling the processed wood as they flick through. I definitely grew up in a time when newspapers magazines and books were how we read. When I was at high school we had a computer, though we only got the internet when I was in year 11. I was still putting in a CD version of Encarta Encyclopedia (whatever happened to that???) into my parents Pentium 486 for research tasks. Now students are exposed to an awe striking wealth of resources, networks and more..... I digress.

So I was saying that I was born in the paper age and that I had little exposure to online reading until University (it largely didn't exist). Since then I have learnt so much about education through online reading and of course networking and professional development. But the list of places that teachers can turn to for ideas is almost infinite. Well, it is certainly a finite number, but you get the drift. I get that same feeling that I'm sure my grandfather does from turning a newspaper. However, I get it from touching a link on a screen and seeing a creative idea being explained with pictures (often interactive). Then, a video link available to further explain an educational point of view or detail it in the implementation process. It brings a smile to my face that there are so many people in the world working together for a common cause, education. Through Asia, Europe, the America's and Africa we have educators spreading their word with infectious result. That's why I blog, that's why I read....

Here are my favourites, and I have put the sign-up's for their free newsletters (where available) as I check my emails everyday and these wonders greet me daily with a wry grin:

Sign-up for News
Website



No comments:

Post a Comment

Craig's Twitter