Tuesday 7 January 2014

Diigo - Bookmarking of the past, present and future


Well, I've had a Diigo account for nearly two years, after 'delicious'. It has so much to offer the person who does a lot of their professional-reading and bookmarking on mobile devices as opposed to laptops or PC's. The iPhone  Diigo Browser is great and the iPad browser app is even better. For a teacher to be able to pick up any device anywhere in the world and have all of their information at hand is powerful; all of my created videos from Educreations and Showme (Showme is my current preferred flipped video creator), all of my articles to read from eSchoolnews, Edudemic etc. and any important resource sites when I am assisting students and thinking on my feet during a lesson as student curiosity drives the direction. However, this is an equally powerful tool in the hands of students. Teach them how to research and catalogue useful sites for tasks and refer for future use on topics, teach them tagging for education (organisation skills) and they will become experts of knowledge on all of their devices as they transition through their development at school. They can hop on the family home PC, their iPod touch, google phone, laptop and all of their important information is at the click of a tag away.

My Diigo page if you have an account follow me if you are interested. My Library has lots of math links, as well as other subjects (through my E-Learning Coordinator position) and plenty of links to favorite apps for education (Apple). So important that students have the ability to follow you and search all of your tags, they then start using similar tagging systems in their account. It's like the saying 'give a man a fish and....., teach the man to fish and....'

Sure, a new platform may come along and it could improve on Diigo, but until then this is the benchmark and you can always export all of your bookmarks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Craig's Twitter