Monday 5 August 2013

Teaching Digital Literacy

Over the last couple of years I have searched the Internet for a comprehensive site for teaching digital literacy to students at my College. We have recently implemented a BYOT program and our ICT committee felt strongly that we needed to ensure students were formally aware of their digital footprint, social media acceptable use,  plagiarism and a plethora of other elements that digital literacy has been composed from.

The NSW Government brought out a website that has some useful games and documents, some of which are available to non-det schools. This brought me to the US site Common Sense Media, which provides a vast array of lesson plans and videos that have great educational value. I felt that throughout my research into the area, Australian education was behind the US in regards to educational policy and curriculum for digital literacy. Since then, the Australian Curriculum has developed digital literacy into the new curriculum, a strong step forward.

I was initially networked to Common Sense Media through my use of Edmodo. I appreciate the networking and group ability for staff. Edmodo has such potential with this great feature. I look forward to future developments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Craig's Twitter